Mike Green was first elected to the Michigan Senate on November 2, 2010. He proudly represents the 31st District which includes the Bay, Lapeer, and Tuscola Counties.
Senator Green is a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee and serves as chairman of three subcommittees for the Departments of Agriculture and Rural Development, Environmental Quality, and Natural Resources. He is also vice-chair of the Senate Agriculture Committee, and serves as a member of the Outdoor Recreation and Tourism committee.
Senator Green has been elected by his peers as a leader of legislative caucus groups dedicated to protecting the rights of Michigan gun owners, hunters, anglers and trappers. He serves as Chairman of the Senate Second Amendment Caucus, Senate Chair of the Michigan Legislative Sportsmen’s Caucus, and as an elected member of the National Assembly of Sportsmen’s Caucuses Executive Council.
In just three years in the Senate, he has provided legislative leadership and achieved success on a wide range of issues including the state budget, the federal balanced budget amendment, pro-2nd Amendment and sportsmen legislation, crime victims’ rights, agriculture and agri-business, welfare reform, veterans issues, government reforms, autism insurance, health care quality, sales and property tax reform, conservation efforts, environmental cleanup and wetlands regulatory reform, and local and state transportation infrastructure, among others.
Prior to his election to the Senate, he owned and operated a successful small business, Green’s Log Rails and Custom Log Furniture, from 2003-2010, and served in the Michigan House from 1995-2001.
As a legislator, he has been consistently recognized for his leadership and effectiveness:
- Legislator of the Year – Michigan Agri-Business Association (2014)
- Legislator of the Year – Michigan Pharmacists Association (2014)
- Legislator of the Year – Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (2013)
- Champion of Dairy – Michigan Milk Producers Association (2013)
- Outstanding Support Recognition – Michigan Pork Producers Association (2012)
- Legislator of the Year – Michigan Association of Nurse Anesthetists (2012)
- Legislator of the Year – Michigan Credit Union League (2012)
- Legislator of the Year – Safari Club International Flint Chapter (2011)
- Recognition for Leadership on Autism – HOPE Network
- Legislative Supporter Award – ABATE of Michigan (2011-2012)
- Legislator of the Year – Michigan United Conservation Club (2001)
- Silver Plow Award (Legislator of Year) – Michigan Farm Bureau (2001)
- Silver Plow Award (Legislator of Year) – Michigan Farm Bureau (2000)
- Special Recognition – Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners (2001)
- Michigan Guardian Award -National Federation of Independent Businesses (1998)
- Leadership Award – Michigan Aquaculture Association (1997)
- Legislator of the Year – Safari Club International Flint Chapter (1999)
Before serving in the legislature, Mike was a tool and die maker at General Motors, retiring with 30 years in the skilled trades. While working at GM, he also operated a family farm for 17 years and served his local community as a county commissioner for 8 years.
Mike has been married to wife Paula for 47 years. They have five adult children and 20 grandchildren. They reside in Mayville, Michigan.
Senator Mike Green can be contacted by clicking here.